Kahului to Olinda
The following is a scenic drive through beautiful Upcountry Maui to the actual sites that inspired many important oil paintings by Curtis Wilson Cost. Our drive ends with a visit to The Curtis Wilson Cost Gallery at the Kula Lodge on Hwy 377. Kula Gallery hours are from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm 7 days a week.
...All scenic drives need a starting point. We begin ours at the most central point on Maui, the entrance to the Kahului Airport at the corner of Dairy Road and Hana Hwy (Hwy 36).
- Head southeast on Hana Hwy toward Hana for 2.0 miles.
- Turn right at Haleakala Hwy heading east up the hill for 7.1 miles.
- Turn left at Makawao Ave for 1.8 miles.
- Turn right on Olinda Rd for 1.0 miles.
- Turn right again on Hanamu Road, reset your odometer and travel .4 of a mile. Look to your left directly after the speed bumps. You have arrived at the site of two paintings with 20 years between them: Jacaranda Season (1983) and Hanamu Dusk. (2003)
- Continue driving to .7 of a mile. You'll come to the site of two more paintings: Dairy Gate and Bridle Path.
- Just up ahead, turn right on Kealaloa and stop on the right at .8 mile. This is another pair: Hale Paniolo and After Hours... (look east between the eucalyptus trees).
Click here for a printable version of page 1 to take along as a guide.
For more information about The Curtis Wilson Cost Gallery, please call us
at 808-878-6544 or toll free at 1-800-810-2678, or use our contact form.